November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention it; it's an important holiday and I feel it's necessary that were remember all veterans today, living and deceased, and remember the sacrifices they've made. And let's not forget the sacrifices their families make: time with their loved one, nobody to help parent the children, many women have to give birth without their husband present, mom's watch their babies go off to war, babies watch their moms and dads go off to war. It breaks my heart to think of how hard that must be, no matter how many times you have to do it. I don't care where you stand on war, soldiers devote their lives to defending all of our great freedoms and I am full of pride, admiration, and gratitude not just today but every day.

My dad and his brothers were all in the military, as was my aunt. My mom's brother was in the Navy. My cousin, until very recently, was active duty Army. The woman I babysit for, she's active duty Navy. I had friends in high school enlist; some are still in, some left after their four years were up. I remember listening to two friends, one of whom was in the Army, the other in the Marines, argue about which branch of the military was superior to the other. I remember thinking at the time how they were acting like little boys with the whole, "My [insert whatever object comes to mind here] is bigger than your [same object]."

I have a much deeper appreciation for all that our military does for us now and I'm so proud to be an American. So if any of you are military families or are in the military, thank you so much.

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." ~Elmer Davis

2 comments:

Valeta said...

My dad was in the army and my baby daddy is in the air force reserves. Yay Veterans.

Denise said...

Great post! I have a cousin over in Afghanistan right now! My family was in the Army and Navy. This IS an important holiday and I hope everyone took a few moments to say a prayer and thank our military yesterday!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing