June 13, 2008

The Things We Think and Do Not Say

Ever have one of those internal moments, long after a discussion has passed, where you think of a million things you should have said but didn't? Or you think of them during the conversation, but don't say them for fear of confrontation, rejection, anger, etc.? I hate that. I'm very non-confrontational, I don't like fighting and I'm a big chickenshit. I won't ruffle feathers if I can't find a quick exit out of the henhouse. I'm always afraid I won't be able to back up my words and that I'll end up looking like a big asshole.

It's probably a self-esteem problem. I do hold some pretty strong opinions on certain subjects and in my own, soundless rhetoric, I sound fairly intelligent. But I fear the debate. What if someone else holds an equal or superior argument? Will I be able to hold my own?

What are some things you wish you could say to people in your life, be they loved ones or strangers you see every day? You don't have to name them, but I'm always interested in what goes on in peoples' heads.

Here are mine:
- I know your life's different now, but that doesn't mean it's a bad different.
- Grow up, please. People are laughing at you.
- I'm really proud of what you've done with your life, you've really turned things around. You have a long way to go in other areas, but I can tell you know that.
- You're not as important as you fancy yourself.
- Please stop pushing religion down my throat, no amount of badgering is going to change my mind.
- I love you, and I'll help you out when I can, but I don't want you involved in my childrens lives.
- Please quit trying to make me feel bad for moving out here; we're making our own life out here, you should be proud.
- I miss you and our talks. It's not fair that you "handed me off" and missed my wedding. I haven't heard from you in years and I feel like you all but abandoned me and that hurt worse than anything.

So c'mon folks...what's in your head?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mommy, please don't bring your leftovers to live in my fridge. Leftovers should not cross state lines.

Seriously, that is one of my pet peeves today.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I never have that problem. More often, I worry more about what I DID say than what I should have said. Luckily, I don't have any problem going back and double-checking or apologizing (if necessary). I speak from my heart, so it's usually okay. :) Oh, wait a minute; there is one thing...

Dear MIL, I love you DEARLY, but that sucking sound you make with your teeth after EVERY meal? It's DRIVING ME CRAZY!! PLEASE STOP!! Love, Me

Brittany said...

Just wanted to say, I love your blog! I am an I Love Lucy addict myself:)

Valeta said...

Here are a few of mine:

- He's just never going to commit. He is not that into you, he cheats on you. He is an asshole and you deserve better.

- If you don't start spending time with us, there will be no "us" for you to spend time with.

Valeta said...

You know I always say dumb things. Or wish I could have said something else. lol.

The Mom Jen said...

I know your life's different now, but that doesn't mean it's a bad different.

Oh i'd say this to my SIL in a heartbeat!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing